The Kane County Clerk's office certifies newly commissioned notaries who live in Kane County.
However, the Illinois Secretary of State first processes all notary public applications. You can print an application to become a notary public at the Secretary of State's website or call 217-782-7017.
- After receiving commission certificates from the Secretary of State's office, the Clerk's office mails a signature letter to the notary public.
- The notary public must sign and return the signature letter to the Clerk's office within 30 days, with proper fees.
- The Clerk's office will mail you the commission.
Returning the Signature Letter
The fee is
$11 if the signature letter is mailed back to the Clerk's office and $15 if returned in person.
The signature letter should be mailed to:
Kane County Clerk
719 S. Batavia Ave., Bldg. B
Geneva, IL 60134
- If returning by mail, include the following:
- The signed signature letter
- An $11 check or money order payable to the Kane County Clerk
- If returning in person:
- Visit the Clerk's at: Kane County Clerk 719 S. Batavia Ave., Bldg B., Geneva, IL 60134
- Bring the signed signature letter.
- Pay the $15 fee. (Cash or checks accepted.)