Vital Records




Civil Union

Civil Union Conversion

Certificate Request Form




Notary Public

Business Registration

Economic Interest Statement

RTA Pass Program

Statistics 1982-2010

Statistics 2010-Present


Voter Registration

Early Voting

Polling Places

IL State Board of Elections website

Election Calendar


Tax Extension

Tax Redemption

Tax Extension Reports

Mobile Homes

Annexations, Disconnections, dissolutions and organization of taxing districts.


Tax Bill Explanation

Current Tax Search

Past Tax Search


Tax District Forms/Certificates

Billing Address Changes

IACCR Tax Manual

PTELL Overview

PTELL Technical Manual

2013 Illinois Property Tax Rate and Levy Manual

Government Guide

2017 Kane County Government Guide

Illinois State and Local Government Guide

Quick Guide
to Property Taxes

Press Releases

Another Saturday Passport Day!

REAL ID update

Elections Voter Outreach Program

Passport Photos Now available!

Public Notices

Applying For A Marriage License

En español

Couples getting married in Kane County must obtain a marriage license from the Kane County Clerk's office.

Timelines and restrictions

Marriage licenses are:

  • effective only in Kane County
  • issued while you wait
  • effective the following calendar day after they are issued
  • valid for 60 days


Under Illinois law, only eligible persons can marry. Couples must:

  • be 18 years of age or older
  • not be blood relatives
  • Individuals who reside out of state may not apply for a marriage license in Illinois if such a marriage would not be legal in their home state.
  • Not enter into a marriage prior to dissolution of a marriage or civil union or substantially similar legal relationship


  • Under state law, first cousins older than 50 years of age may marry.
  • Under state law, applicants who are 16 and 17 years old may obtain a marriage license with parental consent.

    Both parents or legal guardians must:

    • appear in person
    • provide sworn consent of the marriage at that time
    • provide a government issued photo I.D., or call our office for forms of acceptable identification.
    • If a court appointed legal guardian is providing consent, a certified copy of the appointment is required.

    Applicants who are 16 or 17 must present the following:

    • a certified copy of their birth certificate
    • a second form of identification showing their date of birth


Keep in mind, marriage license applications take 30 minutes to process. Please plan accordingly.

Couples must appear together at:

Kane County Clerk
719 S. Batavia Ave., Bldg. B
Geneva, IL 60134
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8:30am-4:30pm
Wed: 8:30am-8:00pm
(630) 232-5950

They must:

  • Fill out and sign a marriage license application.
  • Present valid identification with proof of age.
  • Pay a $32 fee (CASH ONLY).
  • Applicants who have divorced within the last six weeks must provide a certified copy of their divorce decree upon applying for a marriage license.
  • Applicants who were widowed within the last 6 weeks must provide a certified copy of the death certificate.


  • Marriage in Illinois may be performed by either a person of the clergy or a judge.
  • Witnesses are not required by Illinois law.
  • Couples wishing to have their ceremony at the courthouse please note: Judges are available between the hours of 2:30pm to 4:00pm, Monday through Thursday and 1:30pm to 4:00pm on Fridays. No appointments are necessary. All ceremonies are on a first come, first served basis. Information will be provided at time of application.
  • Couples wishing to have a judge perform their marriage outside the court system, must make special arrangements in advance. Please contact the clerk’s office for a list of retired judges.

After the marriage ceremony occurs

The individual(s) performing the ceremony must complete the bottom portion of the marriage license and mail or deliver it within 10 days of the date of marriage to:

Kane County Clerk
719 S. Batavia Ave., Bldg. B
Geneva, IL 60134
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8:30am-4:30pm
Wed: 8:30am-8:00pm
(630) 232-5950

PLEASE NOTE: If, for any reason, you do not get married within the 60 day time period, your license is void and it will be your responsibility to return the license to the Clerk's office to be filed.

Under no circumstances should a license be destroyed after it is issued.

You may obtain a copy of your marriage certificate upon request.

For more information call: (630) 232-5950

Get Adobe Reader (*) = Documents Require Adobe Acrobat Reader