Vital Records




Civil Union

Civil Union Conversion

Certificate Request Form




Notary Public

Business Registration

Economic Interest Statement

RTA Pass Program

Statistics 1982-2010

Statistics 2010-Present


Voter Registration

Early Voting

Polling Places

IL State Board of Elections website

Election Calendar


Tax Extension

Tax Redemption

Tax Extension Reports

Mobile Homes

Annexations, Disconnections, dissolutions and organization of taxing districts.


Tax Bill Explanation

Current Tax Search

Past Tax Search


Tax District Forms/Certificates

Billing Address Changes

IACCR Tax Manual

PTELL Overview

PTELL Technical Manual

2013 Illinois Property Tax Rate and Levy Manual

Government Guide

2017 Kane County Government Guide

Illinois State and Local Government Guide

Quick Guide
to Property Taxes

Press Releases

Another Saturday Passport Day!

REAL ID update

Elections Voter Outreach Program

Passport Photos Now available!

Public Notices

Applying For A Civil Union License

En español

Couples having a Civil Union Certified in Kane County must obtain a Civil Union License from the Kane County Clerk’s office.

Timelines and restrictions

Civil Union licenses are:

  • effective only in Kane County – The license must be purchased in the county the civil union will take place.
  • issued while you wait
  • effective the following calendar day after they are issued
  • valid for 60 days


Under Illinois law, only eligible persons may obtain a Civil Union License. Both parties must:

  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Not be an ancestor and a descendent or between siblings whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood or by adoption; an aunt or uncle and a niece or nephew, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood, or by adoption; or between first cousins
  • Not enter into civil union prior to dissolution of a marriage or civil union or substantially similar legal relationship
  • Individuals who reside out of the state may not apply for a Civil Union license in Illinois if such Civil Union would not be legal in their home state.


  • A marriage between persons of the same sex, a civil union, or a substantially similar legal relationship other than common law marriage, legally entered into in another jurisdiction, shall be recognized in Illinois as a civil union.


Keep in mind, civil union license applications takes 30 minutes or more to process. Please plan accordingly.

Couples must appear together at:

Kane County Clerk
719 S. Batavia Ave., Bldg. B
Geneva, IL 60134
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8:30am-4:30pm
Wed: 8:30am-8:00pm
(630) 232-5950

They must:

  • Fill out and sign a Civil Union license application.
  • Present valid government issued photo identification with proof of age.
  • Pay a $32 fee (cash only).
  • Applicants who have had a dissolution/divorce within the last six weeks must provide a certified copy of their dissolution/divorce decree upon applying for a civil union license. Applicants who were widowed in the last six weeks must provide a certified death record.

Civil Union

  • Civil unions may be certified by either a person of the clergy or a judge.
  • Witnesses are not required by Illinois law.
  • Couples wishing to have their ceremony at the courthouse please note: Judges are available between the hours of 2:30pm to 4:00pm, Monday through Thursday and 1:30pm to 4:00pm on Fridays. No appointments are necessary. All ceremonies are on a first come, first served basis. Information will be provided at time of application.
  • Couples wishing to have a judge perform their civil union outside the court system, must make special arrangements in advance. Please contact the County Clerk’s office @ 630-232-5950 for a list of retired judges.

After the Civil Union ceremony occurs

The individual(s) performing the ceremony must complete the bottom portion of the license and mail or deliver it to the County Clerk within 10 days of the date the civil union is certified.

Mail to:
Kane County Clerk
719 S. Batavia Ave., Bldg. B
Geneva, IL 60134
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8:30am-4:30pm
Wed: 8:30am-8:00pm
(630) 232-5950

PLEASE NOTE: If, for any reason, you do not have your civil union certified within the 60 day time period, your license is void and it will be your responsibility to return the license to the Clerk's office to be filed.

Under no circumstances should a license be destroyed after it is issued.

You may obtain a certified copy of your civil union license in approximately 2 to 3 weeks after the license is filed with the County Clerk. The fee is $16.00 for the first copy, and $6.00 for each additional copy of the same certificate when purchased at the same time. You may obtain a copy of your Civil Union certificate upon request.

For more information call: (630)232-5950